Tuesday, July 12, 2011

* Kollywood Celebrities for a Social Cause

Recently Times of India has published a article about the kollywood celebrities, who are participating for a social cause, Of course how can they forget our Beautiful Trisha Krishnan (full article is given below)...

There's more to Kollywood celebrities than their largerthan-life avatars, running around trees or delivering the perfect punch line, not to mention romancing their lady love.

Celebrities endorsing products across media is nothing new. However, an increasing number of celebrities are now working towards promoting social causes and other issues. They attend fundraisers, make public service advertisements and sport a flashing smile for the cause. The question here is, is this concern genuine or an attention-seeking publicity gimmick? Why do non-profit events have high profile celebrities as their ambassadors?

The most obvious reason is that celebrity endorsements (be it products or causes) get the most mileage in terms of publicity. The crux of the whole issue is to spread awareness to a mass audience (mostly fans and well wishers), which these actors and actresses can pull off with ease.

The Sivakumar family has always been on the forefront of social causes and the latest to join the bandwagon is the youngest son of their family, Karthi. Actor Karthi, who recently tied the knot, followed in their footsteps just a few days before his wedding. He has joined hands with a group started by patients called Lysosomal Storage Disorders Support Society, to be their brand ambassador for the cause.

On why he chose to be a part of this cause, Karthi said, "There is not enough research or awareness about these diseases. Diagnosing these conditions is a big challenge. Unfortunately, it seems to have mostly affected people who cannot afford the treatment. I have associated myself with this society to highlight the plight of kids who suffer from these disorders."

Actress Trisha has been supporting the Adopt an Indian Puppy Campaign for a year and a half now. "I support a cause because I believe in it. It doesn't matter what people think about me because at the end of the day, I'm happy with the work I'm doing. As long as I believe in both the cause and myself, nothing else should matter," she asserts firmly.

The causes are varied, but the objective is same universally — to do good for the society. Be it Simbu and the Osthi team distributing prize money to the toppers of Class X and Class XII exams in the city, or Priya Anand's association with Save The Children in their south India campaign, it looks like stars, despite their age, want to use their star value to support causes close to their heart. Says Priya Anand, "I have a natural affinity towards kids and want to do something for them in the long run. Working with this organization seems like a good start. Since I've done films in both Tamil and Telugu, and people know me in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, I thought I'd use this popularity to promote the cause of children."

It's not just the actors who are standing up for a cause, Carnatic singer Sudha Ragunathan too engages herself in several activities to do her bit for the society. Says Sudha, "To mark the 20th anniversary of my Guru Padma Bhushan Dr M L Vasanthakumari, I couldn't think of a better dhaanam than organ donation. Through my Samudhaaya Foundation, I'll strive to work towards this honorable cause. To initiate this, my family and friends have also pledged their organs."

It's not just glamour and publicity for artists anymore. Most have realized the need to do their bit to the society and hence indulge in a lot of philanthropic work. Will the others follow suit?

0 comments:

Post a Comment